Murphy Beds, also known as wall beds, are foldable beds that can be stored vertically inside a cabinet or wall when not in use, saving a significant amount of space. Invented in the early 20th century, Murphy Beds have been around for over a century, but they have gained a new lease of life in recent years, thanks to their practicality and versatility. In this article, we’ll discuss how Murphy Beds can be the best space-saving solution for small homes in the USA.
Benefits of Murphy Beds
Murphy Bed are not just a space-saving solution; they also offer several other benefits. Let’s take a look at some of the advantages of Murphy Beds:
- Space-saving: This is the most significant benefit of Murphy Beds. They can be folded away when not in use, freeing up valuable floor space for other activities.
- Multi-purpose: Murphy Beds can be used in several ways. You can add shelves, a desk, or even a sofa to the cabinet, making it a multi-purpose piece of furniture that saves space.
- Comfortable: Murphy Beds are just as comfortable as regular beds. They come in various sizes and mattress options, ensuring you get a good night’s sleep.
- Aesthetically pleasing: Murphy Beds are available in various designs and finishes, so you can choose one that complements your interior décor.
Installing a Murphy Bed requires some careful considerations. Here are some factors to keep in mind:
- Wall Space: Murphy Beds require wall space to be installed, so you need to ensure that you have enough space to accommodate the bed.
- Floor Space: You also need to consider the amount of floor space required when the bed is pulled down. Make sure there’s enough space for movement around the bed.
- Weight: Murphy Beds are heavy, so you need to ensure that the wall can support the weight of the bed. It’s best to get professional help to install the bed.
- Room Layout: The layout of the room should also be taken into consideration when installing a Murphy Bed. Make sure that there’s enough clearance for the bed to be pulled down without obstructing any furniture or doors.
Maintenance and Care
Murphy Beds are low maintenance, but they still require some care to ensure they remain in good condition. Here are some tips for maintaining and caring for your Murphy Bed:
- Regular Cleaning: Murphy Beds should be cleaned regularly to prevent dust buildup. Use a soft cloth to wipe down the bed and cabinet.
- Lubrication: The moving parts of the bed should be lubricated regularly to ensure smooth operation.
- Mattress Rotation: It’s important to rotate the mattress regularly to prevent wear and tear on one side.
- Professional Help: If you notice any issues with the bed, it’s best to get professional help to fix the problem.
Murphy Beds come in various price ranges, depending on the size, type, and features. Here are some factors that can affect the cost:
- Size: Larger beds will be more expensive than smaller ones.
- Type: Some types of Murphy Beds, such as Desk Beds or Cabinet Beds, may be more expensive than Standard Murphy Beds.
- Materials: The type of materials used to construct the bed can also affect the cost.
- Features: Extra features such as shelves, drawers, or lighting can also add to the cost.
DIY vs. Professional Installation
- Murphy Beds can be installed as a DIY project, but it’s important to keep in mind that it can be a challenging and time-consuming task. Here are some factors to consider when deciding between DIY and professional installation:
- Skill Level: Installing a Murphy Bed requires some carpentry skills, so if you’re not confident in your abilities, it’s best to get professional help.
- Time: Installing a Murphy Bed can take several hours, so if you’re short on time, it may be better to get professional help.
- Tools: Installing a Murphy Bed requires specific tools, which you may not have. Professional installers will have all the necessary tools.
- Warranty: Professional installers will offer a warranty on their work, which can give you peace of mind.
Where to Buy Murphy Beds
Murphy Beds can be purchased from several places in the USA. Here are some options:
- Furniture Stores: Many furniture stores sell Murphy Beds, so you can visit your local store to see the options available.
- Online Retailers: Several online retailers sell Murphy Beds, which can be convenient if you’re unable to visit a store.
- Custom Builders: If you have specific requirements or want a custom design, you can contact a custom builder to create a Murphy Bed that meets your needs.
Murphy Beds are an excellent space-saving solution for small homes in the USA. They offer several benefits, including space-saving, multi-purpose, comfortable, and aesthetically pleasing. There are several types of Murphy Beds, including Standard Murphy Beds, Horizontal Murphy Beds, Cabinet Beds, and Desk Beds, each with its own advantages. When installing a Murphy Bed, you need to consider factors such as wall space.